In Brunei

I'm in Seria, a quiet little town in Brunei. Obviously, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for work; We're taking part in a local two-day O&G technology exhibition hosted by our representative ('agent') here in Brunei. There are about 20 exhibitors altogether from all over the world.

Our agent is a company owned by a local wealthy and reputable Malay family and the entire family members work there. Everything has been taken care of by the agent; Logistics, bookings, food, etc. So, every night, we have dinner at their office. Yesterday was Pizza Hut and today was BBQ. Tomorrow would be the last night, but I don't think I'll be joining that. Here's why:

Brunei is a dry country. In other words, alcohol is not sold anywhere in the country and consumption of alcohol in public is prohibited by law. That said, non-Muslim visitors are allowed to bring in up to two litres of alcohol plus up to twelve cans of beer every 48 hours. So, every night during dinner, there are cans and cans of beers and bottles of whisky around me. If you know me long enough, you'd know how I hate to be around those things because the smell is so busuk. That's the first reason.

Secondly, I'm totally fine when the foreigners drink because that's what they do. But I'm utterly disgusted and sad seeing the wealthy local Malays drink like it's not a sin, and that includes the entire family members who work there. And the owner, who is a "Haji" said, "People said we're in the wrong business. We should be selling beers instead of oil. It costs 5 dollars a can here! Next year, there will be no more exhibition as I'll be shifting my business," and laughed. It was clearly a joke, but I just didn't find it funny. In fact, I just felt offended.

This is by far the worst overseas trip I've ever had. I thought that it'd be peaceful being in a Muslim country. Clearly, I was wrong. *Big sigh*

Previous Post Next Post