Pimping Out the Storeroom


Having a proper and organized storage room has been in my bucket list since I purchased this house [that we're currently living in]. Although it is not meant for public eyes, I still want to have a pretty sight every time I open the storeroom door.

This was initially last year's plan.

I decided to spend a day in December to materialize this. I wanted a lot of open storage space and being able to glance through everything in the storeroom just by standing at the door. I also wanted to keep the shelves off the floor because it gives an impression of wider space.

So, that's how I decided on IKEA's BOAXEL system as it ticks all the boxes.

Time to Get Organized

Measured the space I got and drew a mock-up of the structure I had in mind. Nothing fancy, just used MS Excel. I also made full use of IKEA's user-friendly BOAXEL planner.

As most storerooms in mass-produced houses, this one too is narrow and only one of the walls can accommodate the shelves.

Since the storeroom sits directly under the stairs, the space is a little awkward. So, I had to get the measurements down to the centimeter so that I don't end up buying things that don't fit.


I use the wire shelves all the way up to the ceiling so that I can decide whether I'd need a ladder to get what I want and large mesh baskets to store folded items like rags and floor mats. Items that are in boxes are labelled clearly facing the entrance. Tennis rackets, stationeries and vacuum accessories are stored for quick access.

Alhamdulillah, everything worked out as I envisioned it, all for under RM 800! Money worth spent for that peace of mind.
Previous Post Next Post