Day 40 of MCO



Pejam celik, pejam celik, dah 40 hari!

One of the effects of being at home for far too long is developing the tendency to learn new things. For me, I am learning to cook. Sure, I used to cook when I was a student back in the States. And no, I wasn't very good, but at least I know the basics, like letting the oil heat before putting anything in.

Have you been learning anything new?

Anyway, on the second day of Ramadhan, I challenged myself and decided to prepare the meal for iftar. It's a big risk because if I ruin it, no one would have anything to properly break their fast. So, I settled with something simple and voilà, Butter Chicken à la @khairulaming.

Everyone loved it, especially the kids! Daanish even reminded me to keep the exact recipe so that I can make it again soon. So, I'm keeping it here for easy future reference. As you'll notice, I've tweaked the amount a little to suit the size of my family.

To fry the chicken, you will need:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- Some salt and black pepper
- 450g chicken fillet

Mix everything up well in a bowl. Heat some oil and fry the chicken until they are golden brown. Put aside.


For the butter sauce, you will need:
- 125g butter (salted, about 1/2 of the Buttercup bar)
- 1.5 onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 can of evaporated milk
- Some curry leaves and bird's eye chilli

Heat the butter and throw in the chopped onions and garlic. Stir well and add in the evaporated milk. It will bubble up. So, don't freak out. Lastly, add the curry leaves. At this point, you can scoop out some of the sauce to be served for your kids later. Then, you may add as many bird's eye chilli to your liking. And you're done!

When ready to serve, pour the sauce onto the fried chicken. This way, the chicken won't get soggy and you can keep some for later.

It was so good, the kids had it for 2 days in a row for both sahur and iftar. I'm now scrolling through his Instagram feed again to see what other recipes I'm capable of executing. Let's wait and see.
Previous Post Next Post